Design And Technology
Design and Technology
Why Choose This Subject?
If you are considering related A Level and BTEC courses.
Choose this course if you would like to gain skills and understanding about the research, design, development and properties of wood, metal and plastic products, to be able to manufacture a variety of 3D products.
This course will excite students who wish to develop the following characteristics:
- Love solving problems with creative and innovative strategies.
- Are able to be logical and pragmatic, and have an interest in products.
- Are conscious of global social, cultural and environmental issues in relation to Design and Technology. Always pay close attention to detail, are comfortable with numeracy and eager to develop a high level of computer literacy. You must be interested in applying knowledge from other disciplines, including mathematics, science, art & design, computing and the humanities.
Section A – Core technical principles (20 marks)
- New and emerging technologies
- Materials and their working properties
- Energy generation and storage
- A mixture of multiple choice and short answer questions assessing a breadth of technical knowledge and understanding.
Section B – Specialist technical principles (30 marks)
- Forces and stresses
- Ecological and social footprint
- Scales of production
- Several short answer questions (2–5 marks) and one extended response to assess a more in depth knowledge of technical principles.
Section C – Designing and making principles (50 marks)
- Designing principles
- Making principles
- A mixture of short answers and extended response questions.
Fashion design, Graphic design, Theatre designer, Animator, Video game designer, Illustrator, Museum curator, Photographer, Architecture, Product design, Textiles design, Ceramics, Advertising, Publishing, Interior design, Retail design, Exhibition design, Jewellery design, Visual media, and Teaching.
If you have any questions about Design and Technology, please contact Mrs Mathurin, Director of Design and Technology.