Dual Languages - French and Spanish
Why choose this subject?
“English is simply not enough. We cannot understand the world in English. We need to be aware as never before of other languages and of the ways in which they identify and represent their cultures” ~ Footitt, October 2001
This course is for students who wish to take an extra language. In other words, if you currently study Spanish, you will then study French as well or if you study French already, you will then do Spanish as well. This can be challenging but ultimately, very rewarding too.
Previous students who have studied languages have told us –
- It’s fun
- You find out about other people and cultures
- Knowing a language makes you more employable
- It can lead you into other subjects
- It can help you make new friends
- It can teach you about yourself and your own country
- It gives you more confidence
- It gives you even more of an excuse to see the world.
Other reasons include the skills you will pick up, especially -
- Social skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Open mindedness
You will have a few months of French / Spanish for beginners, catching up on the basics from Year 7 and 8 topics before going deeper into more complex topics, such as -
- French: Me, my family and friends, Free-time activities and Customs and festivals in French speaking countries / communities.
- Spanish: Travel and tourism, My studies and Free-time activities.
People who speak a language earn on average 12% more from their job than people who don’t. Possible careers include:
- Academic researcher
- Broadcast journalist
- Diplomatic service officer
- Education consultant
- English as a foreign language teacher
- International aid/development worker
- Logistics and distribution manager
- Marketing executive
- Patent examiner
- Political risk analyst
- Private tutor
- Publishing rights manager
- Sales executive
- Secondary school teacher
- Tour manager
If you have any questions about Languages, please speak with your French / Spanish teacher or any member of the Languages department. We will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.